Friday, September 9, 2011

Practical Magic BOS

I love the movie Practical Magic!! And like most witches who love the movie, I love the BOS that the ladies have. I've wanted one for a long time. But the only ones I can find online cost anywhere from $300 all the way up to $700.  If you go to this blog you will see an example of the type of book I speak of.

So I've decided to make my own. I did a few hours of research on how to do book binding. Then found a tutorial on how to actually make a hardcover book. So far, I've gotten the pages glued together: 




The first 2 images show the bigger section of the book in the binding jigs that I made. It is about 300 pages. The 3rd picture is the smaller portion of the book, or the hidden part. It's somewhere between 50-100 pages. I didn't count them!!! The next step is to measure and cut out the project board I got for the covers. I will be posting more as I complete each portion.

But in the mean time, here is my supply list: 

Copy pages--500 for $3. I was going to coffee stain them but the pages kept falling apart. WalMart does sell parchment paper but it's $7 for 120 pages. White paper is fine with me.

Bottle of Elmer's glue-- $.97

Project board--$1. This will be what I cut for the covers. It's a harder cardboard and I got it from the Dollar Tree. 

Leather/pleather fabric---$3 for a 1 yard piece of remnant. 

8 comments:

  1. I'm working on one like this now. I found your web page thru Pinterest and as soon as I finished will post on your page. Thanks for the DIY :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a women in England that makes them for a great price. I think I spent 80$ But that was because I bought extra paper. She is on Etsy, and her Shop name is Dragonfly I believe. The book I have is beautiful! Made with a beautiful wood and has a burned Triad and then they used organic honey to stain it. She even Blesses it!SO BEAUTIFUL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Yes I did. You can see it in a later entry here:
      http://cajunlady77.blogspot.com/2011/09/practical-magic-inspired-boscompleted.html

      Delete
  4. I looked up your later entry and it just took me back to this one. Can you please leave the link to the rest of the tutorial? I can't wait to see what you did! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://cajunlady77.blogspot.com/2011/09/practical-magic-inspired-boscompleted.html

      This is the link.

      Delete