Wednesday, December 8, 2010

This is a note I created on my Facebook page. It's not aimed at anyone here on LJ but on there at FB. I just wanted to share it here. 


Yule vs. Christmas
I'm not one to usually bring up stuff like this, but I won't stand by and be hounded by it anymore.
 This time of the year is not just about Christmas. There's Hanukkah,Kwanza, Yule, etc. Which brings me to Yule. What many people don't realized or either refuse to believe is that Christmas is actually Pagan in origin. I HATE citing Wikipedia, but so far, it's had the best information I've come across out there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yule
"Yule or Yule-tide ("Yule-time") is a winter festival that was initially celebrated by the historical Germanic people as a pagan religious festival, though it was later absorbed into, and equated with, the Christian festival of Christmas"

http://www.mysteriousbritain.co.uk/festivals/december/christmas-yule-and-the-winter-solstice.html
http://www.witchology.com/contents/december/yule/yuleflyerbw.png
I won't go on citing works because many of us are adults here. But the Christmas tree is a Pagan symbol. As is the Yule log and mistletoe. Mistletoe is very sacred to the Celtic Druids. Like a couple other holidays, they were absorbed and turned Pagan when Christianity was spreading. Ostara is another example, but I'll save that one for the spring time!! 

I'm not one to push my beliefs on others. But I thought it was time for me to share MY beliefs with others as it seems so many others are doing the same. So no, I won't only say Merry Christmas. If it's your holiday, then I will. But I will also say the politically correct Happy Holidays, Happy Hanukkah, Merry Yule, etc. I respect your beliefs. All I ask is that you do that same to me. Please don't try to ignore it or act like it's not real. These are my beliefs and they are not going away. 

~~Mikki

No comments:

Post a Comment